Accurately measuring for a screen door is a crucial step, and taking your time ensures that you obtain the correct dimensions for a perfect fit. Here's a guide to help you through the process:
Before you begin, gather the following items:
- Tape measure
While measuring for a standard screen door may seem straightforward, precision is vital, especially when dealing with custom-made doors. Even a difference of 1/8 of an inch can lead to a screen door that doesn't function properly. For standard-sized doors in modern homes, pre-made or mass-produced screen doors may suffice. However, if you have unique requirements such as an oversized or undersized doorway, a custom screen door is the ideal solution.
Steps to Accurately Measure for Your Screen Door:
Stand Outside the Door Opening: Begin on the exterior of the door opening to size the screen door correctly.
- Measure the width from inside to inside at the top, middle, and bottom of the door frame.
- Note down all three measurements and submit the smallest width to the screen door provider.
- Measure the height on the far right and far left sides of the door frame.
- Record both measurements and use the smaller of the two.
Adjustment for Fit:
- Subtract 1/4 inch from the width measurement.
- Subtract 1/2 inch from the height measurement.
- These adjustments ensure the screen door fits seamlessly into your existing door frame.
Screen Door Measuring Tip: Most standard inside door frames have widths of 30, 32, or 36 inches, with a standard height of 80 inches. If your measurements align with these sizes, you're on the right track, streamlining the installation process for your custom screen door.
Benefits of Choosing a Custom Screen Door: Ordering a custom screen door offers several advantages over purchasing one from a big-box retailer. You'll have the flexibility to choose from:
- Five aluminum frame colors
- Three different frame thicknesses
- Various screen types, including pet screens, solar screens, or standard fiberglass screens in charcoal or traditional silver colors.
By opting for a custom screen door, you can achieve the exact aesthetic and functional specifications that may not be available with pre-made options at larger retail stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.